Students will explore Greek or Norse mythology and create their own script for a staged show with costumes and props! Students are encouraged to sign up for multiple weeks - each week is a whole new show!
Students are encouraged to come to class with their own ideas to share. BackStory Theatre Academy's (BSTA) fantastic performance-based program build skills for performance, confidence, team work, and key STEAM learning skills such as active listening, working memory, and creative collaboration! This summer, classes will be team-taught by two of our BYLP teens with supervision by one of our awesome artistic instructors. The week is full of learning for all ages! While teens are learning hands-on skills for teaching, directing, and producing shows - their students grow from mentorship, literacy in action with script-writing, and build strong bonds through creation of their very own show. At the end of the week, the cast will perform a fully-developed, short show (15-25 min) at the Broomfield Auditorium. We will have live audiences as the state and local officials authorize and, where live audiences are not permissible, we will record the final performance to share with families. Class meets Mon-Fri from 12:30-3:30pm at BackStory Theatre (555 Burbank St, Unit Q).
Performance Date: 7/23 - Parents/guardians transport students from BackStory studio to Broomfield Auditorium by 4:30pm. Performance will begin between 6:30-7pm. Specific details will be sent during show week.
Students should wear clothes they can move freely in and closed-toed shoes. Flip-flops and other slip-on shoes present tripping hazards in class. Please bring a water bottle, pencil, and highlighter to every class. Scripts will be emailed after the first day of class and should be printed at home and brought to every class in a three-ring binder. Students will use focus games, activities, and performance rehearsals to develop a deep understanding of stage terminology, thorough character development, blocking, stage projection, pacing, and ensemble support. Performance and other class details will be sent by the directing team during the class week.
COVID-19 has presented our community with unexpected challenges and opportunities. BackStory Theatre is committed to rising to those challenges and creating space both online and in-studio for creativity, confidence-building, and joy! Protocols for in-studio teaching will include the following:
1) All students will be asked to wear a mask when indoors, where appropriate distancing is made possible by outdoor activities and in level Orange or lower, masks may be removed;
2) Parents will need to drop and go – we’ll meet students outside before class to take their temperature and ask about symptoms and recent exposure – parents may leave after receiving a “thumbs up” from the teacher;
3) Students may not attend class if they or anyone in their household has been experiencing symptoms of illness in the past 24 hours or directly exposed to someone with COVID19 within the past ten days without a negative COVID test at the end of ten days;
4) Social distancing guidelines will be indicated on the floors throughout the studio and should be observed;
5) All surfaces and studio spaces will be cleaned between classes;
6) We ask students to plan restroom use to avoid unnecessary bathroom visits at the studio – they will be cleaned between each class;
7) No food in the studios, students may provide their own closed water bottle;
8) We may use limited costumes at the teacher’s discretion but will ask students to supply some items from home – no items will be shared and all costumes and props will be stored in individual boxes for use by their cast member.
Thank you for your cooperation with these guidelines to keep our studio space safe. Attending in-person classes currently carries some risk; we commit to do our part to adhere to all state and local public health guidelines while maintaining an environment of exploration, fun, and creativity. We do also offer comparable, virtual performance based classes for those who do not wish to meet in person! Please check our listings at www.BackStoryTheatre.org/bsta-classes