13 - 18+ yrs
Mon, May 24, 2021 - Jun 28, 2021
6:00pm - 8:00pm CDT
Join Sea Beast Puppet Company and learn everything you need to make your own professional quality shadow puppet show. Over the course of this 6 session class participants will build along with shadow practitioner Kat Pleviak and create puppets, scenery, and a stage as well as learn techniques in shadow performance. Course can be purchased as a set or drop in on the individual classes you like.
If there are multiple members of your household participating register together to receive a 30% discount for each additional person. It will show up on your bill as the sibling discount.
Course Class List:
1) Class 1- Bigfoot, Nessie, & Other Real Creatures: Constructing a Multi-Part Shadow Puppet. Participants will learn how to construct a durable, multipart puppet that exhibits smooth, deliberate, and engaging movement.
2) Class 2- Cthulhu Waits in the Shadows… Detailed Cutting for Shadow Puppets. Learn techniques for cutting precise, delicate, and detailed inlays within your art and silhouette of a character.
3) Class 3- Creepy Crawlies- How to Intergrate Color into Shadows. Learn a variety of ways to add color to your puppets using different tools and techniques.
4) Class 4- From Under the Bed to Deep in the Woods!- Effective Scenery to Create a Shadow World. Discover the best ways to create scenery that won’t overpower your screen space and will complement your characters.
5) Class 5- What’s in the Box?!- Build a Screen, Light it, and Store your Show! Make a pop up shadow screen that doubles as a stage and storage box for your show. Then turn your phone into a light source that fits perfectly into your stage.
6) Class 6- Eeeeeeek…It’s A Show! Performance Techniques for Successful Shadow Shows! This class will cover simple and effective techniques for performing with your puppets, making smooth transitions, and changing scenery.
Many of the materials and tools are items often found around the house or can be acquired at a local dollar store. Art will be provided by downloadable pdf for each class as needed.
Sample Materials List (exact list will be provided based on the classes selected at time of purchase)
Puppet Making Supplies:
PDF (provided by class)
black poster board or cereal boxes
bamboo skewers or stiff wire (like a wire coat hanger)
brads (paper fasteners)
glue stick or spray glue or clear scotch tape
Duct tape or Gaff Tape
needle nose pliers/wire cutters
pin or needle
glue gun or stapler
How To Participate
Attend class via Zoom video
This class will be hosted on Zoom video conferencing platform. You will receive an email 30 minutes before class starts with a link to the class and access instructions. We recommend you make sure your device is up to date and meets all system requirements before class.
Reviews for Sea Beast
5.0 out of 5
Based on 6 provider ratings
Feb 11, 2021
Jan 7, 2021
The instructor, Kat, and her enthusiasm to teach her workshop participants all the skills they need! I had an amazing experience today! And, of course, learned a great deal! I will certainly recommend others to work with Kat or take her workshops. She is very knowledgeable and dedicated to her work!
She was perfect!
Making the Move to Online Session 1
Location: Zoom | Instructor: Kat Pleviak
Dec 8, 2020
I knew nothing about shadow puppetry before this class. Kat explains things so well, has fun projects to work on while learning techniques, and covers a lot of material in just a few hours each week. I'm so glad I signed up for the whole course!
How to Make a Shadow Show: Creature Feature Edition Session 1/Drop in Dates
Location: Online | Instructor: Kat Pleviak
Nov 11, 2020
She was upbeat and friendly and enjoyed talking with my kid. The art activity was wonderful and creative and the instructions were very clear.
Fantastic Puppets and How To Build Them Session 1 /Drop in Dates
Location: Zoom | Instructor: Kat Pleviak
Oct 30, 2020
This class was so much fun! The instructor, Kat, is very personable and made everyone feel welcome and engaged from the very start. She is super organized and made sure we had the materials list well ahead of time. I was really impressed with her ability to make a hands-on puppetry class work virtually. She did a great job making sure the camera angles worked so we could clearly see what she was teaching. The class was well paced with plenty of time to ask questions as we worked. I loved it!
Honestly it worked great just the way it is.
About Sea Beast
The mission of Sea Beast Puppet Company Besides their touring shows, Sea Beast offers workshops to students of all ages and professional development classes in areas of puppetry performance, design, construction, and writing. When they aren't teaching or performing Sea Beast is dedicated to presenting out-of-town puppet artists to the Chicagoland area through the curation of their puppet slam Puppet Meltdown and their puppet festival Oddities: A Curious Collection of Puppetry. The talented artists at Sea Beast are very proud and take great joy in presenting the art of puppetry and look forward to doing so for many years to come.