Thu, Sep 16, 2021 - Dec 16, 2021
4:00pm - 5:30pm EDT
PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR MENUS. SCROLL DOWN TO CHOOSE A DIFFERENT DAY AND TIME. CLASS TIMES SHOWN ARE ET.
The Dynamite Dinner Club is our signature program where we teach kids aged 7-15 how to cook by through making dinner.
For each session, you will receive a robust lesson packet the week prior with guides on ingredients, substitutions, tips and tricks, the weeks’ shopping list, and of course the recipes.
Week 1 (September 13 - September 18) - Summer Bread Salad with Zesty Lemon Chicken (or Cauliflower Steaks)
Week 2 (September 20 - September 25) - Vegetable Pad Thai and Thai Iced Tea
Week 3 (September 27 - October 2) - Cheesy Enchiladas and Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing and Toasted Pepitas
Week 4 (October 4 - October 9) - Fall Market Pasta and Apple-Cranberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Week 5 (October 11 - October 16) - Autumn Harvest Grain Bowls
Week 6 (October 18 - October 23) - Breakfast for Dinner: Sweet and Savory Crepes
Week 7 (October 25 - October 30) - Vegetarian Coconut Curry and Perfect Steamed Rice
Week 8 (November 1 - November 6) - Japanese “Quick Ramen” Noodle Soup and Iceberg Wedge Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing
Week 9 (November 8 - November 13) - Gumbo and Cornbread Muffins
Week 10 (November 15 - November 20) - Thanksgiving Pre-Game (Sides for Dinner)
Week 11 (November 22 - November 23) - Roasted Pumpkin Soup and Massaged Kale Salad
Week 12 (November 29 - December 4) - Skillet Chicken (or Eggplant) Parm and Garlic Bread
Week 13 (December 6 - December 11) - Tortilla Soup and Cilantro-Lime Slaw
Week 14 (December 13 - December 18) - Pesto Lasagna
- Children must be at least 7 years old to participate.
- Some children may need a hand with particular equipment or instructions, in which case a parent should be available to assist.
- Parental supervision in the house is required for safety.
- Stable internet connection.
- A laptop, tablet, or phone with a working, clean camera so that we can assist your child when cooking, and give them tips and feedback.
- Connect to class on time. If you are going to be late please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you'll learn
- Kitchen safety
- Knife skills
- How to read a recipe
- Using measuring tools and other kitchen equipment
- Understanding and customizing flavors
- Cultural context of food
- Taking ownership and responsibility for kitchen clean up
- Mathematical skills
- Executive functioning skills
- Problem solving
- Following directions
- Listening and comprehension
- Time management
- Gaining confidence
Sample Class Format
- The class starts with a 10 minute introduction of the dish, ingredients, and cultural context, followed by an overview of the class timeline. Then we cook! We do visual check-ins with each student and re-iterate that everyone cooks at their own pace, so there’s no rush. For certain classes, a second teacher will help moderate the chat and tend to students’ questions. Students are encouraged to ask questions and show their work for feedback. We also encourage students to clean as they go and we take several breaks to tidy up. After we are done cooking, we give serving and storing instructions.
How To Participate
You will receive an email 30 minutes before class starts with a link to the class and access instructions.
What To Bring
Please reference the equipment and ingredient list in the lesson packet for a complete list
- Printed lesson packet with recipe (provided via email the Friday before class).
- Ingredients and equipment listed in class lesson packet (you can also check it in advance on our website here).
- Completed “Pre-Class Prep” noted in the lesson packet.
- Wear comfortable clothing, an apron, and closed-toed shoes.
Reviews for Dynamite Dinner Club - Fall 2021
4.4 out of 5
Based on 7 activity ratings
Dec 17, 2021
So personal - great attention given to all! Very easy to follow. This was our first class and we’ll be coming back! Kate was great!!
Dec 17, 2021
Got to try a new recipe
Class goes WAY too fast. Impossible for a 10y old kid to follow on his/her own. Instructor rarely stops to leave time for the kids to do the steps. Class finished at 7:10pm instead of 7:30pm. My kid was stressed out from beginning to end.
Dec 16, 2021
Very interactive and fun! Alexander learned a lot 😊
Dec 13, 2021
The instructor was engaging and worked hard to include every kid.
Nov 30, 2021
Kate, the instructor, taught at the perfect pace for the kids to be able to follow step by step.
A little messy-used a lot of dishes/utensils
About The Dynamite Shop (Cooking Classes)
We started as a culinary social club for children and their families in a Park Slope, Brooklyn storefront with a teaching kitchen, cook's library, photo and video studio, backyard garden and a cafe up front. That was in 2017. In 2020 everything changed and we pivoted online.
Our goal is to help the rising generation of cooks find their niche in food, to celebrate the diversity of our communities and the wider world, and to develop positive relationships around food. Consider us Home Ec 2.0: we champion an old fashioned reverence of the table and offer a cool, supportive place to unplug, but we also embrace technology in the ways it can foster creativity and connection.
The Dynamite Shop empowers kids to express themselves through the lens of food, so we’re not just cooking lasagna and bibimbap to bring home for dinner--we’re learning about regional variations, live-streaming with chefs, watching and creating videos, and exploring how food intersects with culture and community.
Our core curricula is the Dynamite Dinner Club where kids gather in our Zoom kitchen to cook dinner for their families and learn real life cooking skills in the process. Beyond Dinner Club, we're a community that revolves around food: We offer cooking classes for the whole family, weekend workshops, food service projects, private parties and group cooking activities for all ages. Now that we’re online, we are available to the whole planet.