8 - 10 yrs
Mon, Tue, Wed
Dec 27, 2021 - Dec 29, 2021
1:00pm - 3:00pm PST
Be confident and organized! Student Leadership encourages children to develop skills in peaceful yet powerful speaking: loudness, clarity, expression, and connectedness. Students develop informative or persuasive speeches on topics they care about to deliver a powerful message. Taught at age-appropriate levels. Max of 12 students so instructors can help each student.
To help make virtual classes & camps run smoothly, we would appreciate it if you could please look over the following guidelines:
• Aim to log in 10-15 minutes before class each day so we can check students off on our roster and put students in the right virtual breakout room classroom.
• Have the name of your student as the username when you log-in.
• For all camps, please have your camera and audio on (but muted). If there is no camera and/or audio, please let the instructor know through chat since it may affect some activities we do in class.
• Have paper & pencil available for classwork.
• For technical issues with Zoom, please make sure you update your Zoom before class. If that doesn’t solve issues, please restart your computer after updating. We will help the best we can with tech issues.
• If you are having trouble logging on, Zoom Support has let us know that manually typing in the Meeting ID and Password sometimes works better than simply clicking the link or copying and pasting the numbers
• If all of the above have been attempted, please try logging on with a different device if possible.
How To Participate
Attend class via Zoom video
This class will be hosted on Zoom video conferencing platform. You will receive an email 30 minutes before class starts with a link to the class and access instructions. We recommend you make sure your device is up to date and meets all system requirements before class.
Reviews for Confident Public Speaking: Student Leadership (8-10Y)
Jan 3, 2021
My child took 2 short virtual confident public speaking courses. The teachers were lovely, but the emphasis was not on confident speaking practice. I had envisioned opportunities to present and get feedback including tips for expressing themselves confidently, how to project their voices, convey confidence via body language, manage speaking anxiety, etc. More time was spent developing an opinion piece and watching videos, which is valuable but not what I had hoped for.
Confident Public Speaking: Student Leadership (8-10Y)
Location: Zoom | Instructor: Amber Youshock
Reviews for Communication Academy
4.5 out of 5
Based on 21 provider ratings
Jun 24, 2021
We really liked how the material is taught and the activities provided. It's very engaging for students, even when the class is in online format. My daughter (8 years old) very much enjoyed the class.
Confident Debate: Mock Trial (8-10Y)
Location: Zoom | Instructor: Marie Ballentine
Jun 10, 2021
New form of debate
- instructor could give feedback and encourage every student to participate
Confident Debate: SPAR (11-14Y)
Location: Zoom | Instructor: Christopher Hobart
Jun 4, 2021
The instructors were very engaging, encouraging, and informative. They provided a comfortable environment in which the students could interact and be involved. Their demeanor, professionalism, and knowledge were much appreciated!
I truly have no suggestions. We were very pleased.
Jun 4, 2021
she very love the class
About Communication Academy
Communication Academy offers after school enrichment classes and camps all year round to students in grades K-12. We were the first to offer Public Speaking courses in Cupertino, CA and have since expanded to offer Debate, Writing, Reading, and Math. We work in partnership with numerous city recreations to offer our classes and camps throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We believe that communication is the most important skill to have in life. Having great communication skills will lead you to success in whatever you choose to do.